WhereVarious locations Louth
Top 10 things for President Joe Biden to do on a visit to County Louth
County Louth is located in Ireland’s Ancient East, equidistant between the cities of Dublin and Belfast, and boasts a mix of natural beauty, thriving urban areas and some of the finest food and music the country has to offer. President Joe Biden is the only person who holds the ‘Freedom of Louth’ and his ancestry can be traced back to Whitestown in the picturesque Cooley Peninsula. There is so much for the President to experience on a visit to Louth, read on for just some of the amazing things to see and do.
- Take a tour of the beautiful Cooley Peninsula, where the President’s family hails from. The area is known for its stunning coastline, mountains and scenic drives making it a favourite amongst tourists. Here President Biden could visit Kilwirra Cemetery to pay respects to his late ancestors, before travelling onwards to Whitestown, the location of the President’s ancestral home, where he can drop into Lily Finnegans traditional Irish pub and enjoy catching up with all his Irish cousins.
- Visit the historic town of Carlingford, a charming village nestled at the foot of Slieve Foye mountain on the shores of Carlingford Lough. It’s renowned for its narrow medieval streets, stunning scenery and famous Carlingford Oysters.
- While in Carlingford attend a traditional Irish music session in a local pub and enjoy a pint of Guinness while listening to toe tapping traditional tunes.
- Take a walk along the picturesque Carlingford Lough Greenway, which winds along the shoreline and boasts sweeping views across the Lough to the stunning Mountains of Mourne.
- Visit Dundalk, a town rich in history. Stop off at the Louth County Museum which showcases the rich heritage and culture of the county, with exhibits on everything from agriculture to the arts.
- Visit Faughart Shrine, a place of tranquil beauty that has drawn pilgrims for centuries. It is thought to be the birthplace Saint Brigid, one of the Patron Saints of Ireland.
- County Louth has a beautiful coastline stretching from Omeath to Drogheda. Explore it on the sea louth scenic seafood trail and enjoy discovering quaint coastal towns and villages such as Blackrock, Annagassan or Clogherhead while feasting on delicious fresh seafood in local restaurants.
- Explore the ancient ruins at Monasterboice or Mellifont Abbey, which feature some of the finest examples of early Christian art in Ireland.
- Stop off in historic Drogheda, gateway to the famous Boyne Valley region. While here a visit to Saint Peter's Church is a must. The church dates back to the 18th century and is known for its beautiful architecture and the Shrine of Saint Oliver Plunkett.
- Go golfing: Louth has several top-quality golf courses, including the world-famous Baltray Links Golf Club, which has hosted the Irish Open. The nearby Seapoint Golf Links will be hosting the Irish Legends Golf Tour in 2023.
Louth, Land of Legends, has a wonderful array of historical attractions, outdoor pursuits, festivals, top class accommodation, award winning local produce and delicious fresh seafood. Here thousands of years of history, myth and legends combine with dramatic scenery and coastline, to produce a memorable holiday experience.
A warm welcome awaits you!
Accommodation: County Louth offers a great range of first-rate accommodation for visitors to choose from, ranging from Four Star hotels to cosy B&Bs and guest houses, as well as self-catering and glamping options. For a list of accommodation in Louth click here (and filter by town).
Restaurants: For a list of restaurants in Louth click here (and filter by town).
Note: Opening hours and booking requirements should be confirmed with individual attractions and restaurants in advance of visiting.
Why not explore more of County Louth, there is so much to see and do, from outdoor adventures, historic attractions, blue flag beaches and seafood trails to miles of mountain & coastal walks. Plan your visit here, download a Visit Louth Map & Guide or check out other Visit Louth itineraries here.