WhereCorner St. Laurence Street & Shop Street Drogheda Louth
The engraving depicted on the sign of Bathe House from the Dublin Penny Journal in 1832 shows that an impressive timber house was once situated opposite the Tholsel. Inscriptions on the building told passers-by that it was commissioned by Nicholas Bathe in 1570 and constructed by the carpenter Hugh Moore. It was demolished in 1824. This view of the Shop Street façade shows a half-basement, ground-floor shops, bay windows on the first floor and a projecting top floor. The carved wooden panels were impressive even to those who had travelled in Germany where timber architecture flourished.