WhereMagdalene Street Corner of Green Lanes Drogheda Louth
A cadaver tomb slab in the graveyard wall
Built into the east wall of the graveyard of St Peters Church of Ireland is the cover slab of a tomb chest which depicts two decaying corpses, the original tomb was located nearby. Edmond Goldyng and his second wife, Elizabeth Flemyng are shown covered in shrouds and in advanced states of decay. They are cadaver effigies.
Such memorial sculpture was carved in Europe in the aftermath of the pandemic of 1347–50 later known as the Black Death. The carvings have been dated to the early sixteenth century, about 200 years after the Black Death.