WhereBeaulieu House Drogheda Baltray Road Louth
ContactT: +353 41 9838557 E: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit Website
Beaulieu House is located east of Drogheda (towards the coast), overlooking the River Boyne.
It was built by Sir Henry Titchbourne, Marshal of the Army in Ireland, and Governor of Drogheda, on the restoration of Charles II, King of England. It is believed to be the finest example of Irish domestic architecture to survive from the Restoration. It was built between 1660 and 1666 and probably designed by a Dutch architect. The present owner is direct descendant of Sir Henry. The family church in the grounds has a mid 15th-century cadaver tombstone set against one of its walls. Only about a dozen such tombstones survive in Ireland.
Inside the impressive house the walls are adorned with excellent family portraits, as well as a superior collection of the works of many famous Irish artists of the early part of the 20th-century. The gardens of Beaulieu overlooking the Boyne are also beautiful and at their best during the months of June & July. Beaulieu House Gardens is a member of the Boyne Valley Garden Trail - www.boynevalleygardentrail.com
Opening Times & Guided Tours: Please check Beaulieu House & Gardens website for details of opening times and guided tours.
View more here: